Business Development Manager will work to improve hotel’s market position and achieve financial growth. The ideal person defines long-term organizational strategic goals, builds key customer relationships, identifies business opportunities, negotiates and closes business deals and maintains extensive knowledge of current market conditions.
The primary role of the Business Development Manager is to prospect for new clients by networking, cold calling, advertising or other means of generating interest from potential clients. Must then plan persuasive approaches and pitches that will convince potential clients to do business with the hotel. Strategic planning is a key part of this job description, since it is the business manager’s responsibility to develop the pipeline of new business coming into the hotel. This requires a thorough knowledge of the market, the solutions/services the hotel can provide, and of the company’s competitors.
- Prospect for potential new clients and turn this into increased business.
- Cold call as appropriate within your market or geographic area to ensure a robust pipeline of opportunities.
- Meet potential clients by growing, maintaining, and leveraging your network.
- Identify potential clients, and the decision makers within the client organization.
- Research and build relationships with new clients.
- Set up meetings between client decision makers and company’s practice leaders/Principals.
- Work with team to develop proposals that speaks to the client’s needs, concerns, and objectives.
- Handle objections by clarifying, emphasizing agreements and working through differences to a positive conclusion. * Use a variety of styles to persuade or negotiate appropriately.
- Identifies trendsetter ideas by researching industry and related events, publications, and announcements; tracking individual contributors and their accomplishments.
- Locates or proposes potential business deals by contacting potential partners; discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Screens potential business deals by analyzing market strategies, deal requirements, potential, and financials; evaluating options; resolving internal priorities; recommending equity investments.
- Develops negotiating strategies and positions by studying integration of new venture with company strategies and operations; examining risks and potentials; estimating partners’ needs and goals.
- Closes new business deals by coordinating requirements; developing and negotiating contracts; integrating contract requirements with business operations.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Candidates most successful in this role will display the following characteristics:
- Analytical Skills – Ability to conduct proper research on group rates, food and beverage minimums as well as room rental.
- Sales Skills – Possess strong ability to influence and/or persuade buying decisions and to close sales or gain commitment from others; create good rapport and exhibit the ability to grow and maintain key partnerships.
- Communication – Have both verbal and written skills, in order to effectively execute meetings and events. This includes keeping the appropriate departments informed and other necessary information; Actively listens to extract essential information in order to maximize revenue and execute successful meetings and events.
- Advanced Organizational Skills – Ability to determine priority tasks and maintain strong attention to detail.
- Desire to participate as part of a team. Action oriented collaboration required.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written. Lively and incisive communication persuasive in style.
- Computer Skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.)
- Complete knowledge of hotel rooms and meeting related services available to guests.
- Ability to use/manipulate the Yield Management and Property Management Systems for tracking, forecasting and executing optimal selling strategies.
- Working knowledge of Hotelligence tools
- Sales Software Knowledge Helpful
- Comprehension of the reservation sales process. Understanding of the group sales process.
- Ability to deliver effective presentations. Present ideas, expectations and information in a concise, well-organized way.
- Manage time well, correctly prioritizing tasks.
- Ensure that guest satisfaction is consistently obtained and maintained.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, manage time and work well under pressure.
- High school or equivalent education required. Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Two + years of experience in a sales role, preferably with knowledge and experience in Business Transient market segment.
- Superior Negotiation Skills – Proven ability to close deals.